WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR RIDING ACADEMY EXPERIENCE
Now’s the perfect time to get ready for Riding Academy. Get ready for the classroom and range experiences.
NEW RIDER COURSE WHAT TO EXPECT
When you take a New Rider Course at the Riding Academy you'll:
- Learn to ride on a genuine Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.
- Get in-class and on-range instruction from Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) and H-D® Certified Coaches.
- Learn to safely accelerate, shift, brake, and turn, along with maneuvers like controlling skids and surmounting obstacles.
- Earn an MSF Basic RiderCourseSM Completion Card, which may (varies by state) exempt you from the riding portion of your license exam and score you a discount on motorcycle insurance.
SKILLED RIDER COURSEWHAT TO EXPECT
Designed solely for experienced riders, this eight-hour 1- or 2-day course is taught by dedicated Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) and H-D® Certified Coaches.
You'll learn advanced tips and techniques to help you own the road.
- Control at low speeds
- Risk management
- Limited-space maneuvers
- Cornering judgment
- Swerving and stopping quickly on straights and in curves
- Multiple curve maneuvers and surmounting objects
When you're done, you'll not only ride with more confidence than ever, you'll earn an MSF Basic RiderCourseSM 2 Completion Card that may qualify you for a discount on motorcycle insurance.
WHAT TO DO BEFORE CLASS
Get comfortable on a motorcycle before you even walk into your first class. Make the most of your class by getting in the saddle at your local Harley-Davidson® dealership and trying a Jumpstart™ demo. Getting knowledgeable before your class begins will get you on a bike and feeling comfortable faster.
You’ll mount the motorcycle, set your boots on the foot pegs and fire up the engine under the watchful eye of our trained personnel. And then, sitting comfortably on the motorcycle, you’ll give the throttle a twist and continue to shift through the gears – all while safely and securely attached to the Jumpstart™ platform.
Get the details about the Motorcycle Safety Foundation e-course. The MSF e-course will help you feel prepared for your first day of class. Check if your state requires this e-course.
RIDING TRAINING GRADUATE FINANCING PROGRAM
Riders who complete the Harley-Davidson® Riding Academy Course can take advantage of special financing options which include no down payment or rates as low as 3.49%* and flexible terms.
WOMEN'S MOTORCYCLE GEAR
GET GEARED UP FOR CLASS
Shop women's motorcycle gear for new riders.
Having the best experience in class requires appropriate motorcycle gear. Check out what you should bring on day one.
MEN'S MOTORCYCLE GEAR
GET READY TO RIDE
Shop men's motorcycle gear for new riders.
NEED TO KNOW
The H-D® dealer where you sign up for the course will determine the exact cost.
You'll need a valid automobile driver's license or learner's permit, and have the ability to ride a bicycle.
You'll need to bring the following:
- Your Driver's License and/or Learner's Permit
- Proof of completion of any pre-required course study
- Any materials provided to you prior to or during class
- Long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Long pants (heavy denim or riding pants recommended)
- Over-the-ankle boots (sturdy, not canvas, low heel)
- Eye protection (helmet visor, eye glasses, sun glasses, goggles acceptable)
- Full-finger gloves (motorcycle specific recommended)
- DOT-certified helmet style based on the requirements of your state.
For the riding portion, the H-D® dealer will provide you with a Harley-Davidson®motorcycle suited for the course.
Yes, learn more about the exclusive offers available only to Riding Academy graduates.
Contact your local Harley-Davidson Dealer with any questions you have about Riding Academy
You must attend the entire course and participate. You must come to class with all the required safety gear and have completed the MSF online E-Course (if required by your state) and pass the riding evaluation at the end of the range sessions.
Yes. A lunch break is incorporated to all full days of Riding Academy.
Yes. However, we recommend that all riders take the Harley-Davidson Riding Academy Class to learn the rules of the road
Contact your dealer as soon as possible to get rescheduled into another class. There may be additional fees to change classes, consult with your dealer.
Riding Academy classes take place rain or shine, hot or cold. Be ready for whatever your local weather might have in store for you. In the event of dangerous weather, the class will be halted. Arrangements will be made to adjust the schedule around the weather if possible. Consult with your Coaches and or Academy Manager if weather results in a class being rescheduled or cancelled.
Yes! The bike you try is a 100% street-ready Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.